Step 1: What kinds of texts can be measured
El Sistema Lexile was built upon the measurement of native Spanish-language, professionally edited, complete, conventional prose text. The Spanish Lexile Analyzer will likely return an inaccurate measure for other kinds of text. Follow these guidelines as you choose texts to measure.
|You should measure these texts
||You should not measure these texts
- Newspaper and magazine articles
- Short stories and reading selections
- Passages, interviews, and plays for tests
- Web pages
- Student writing
- Multiple-choice questions
- Unconventionally punctuated or formatted text
A text still requires preparation before being analyzed. There will likely be elements within a book or passage that should be edited out, such as chapter headings and footnotes.
>> Go on to Step 2: text preparation guidelines